A car accident is often a traumatic experience that can impact your life and the life of your family forever. If you are hurt in a vehicle crash, you could be facing a lengthy and painful recovery period. Injuries can range from minor to severe or disabling and may be physical as well as emotional and psychological. It is important to care for your injuries properly and promptly in order to ensure a full recovery. In some instances, the injuries may result in permanent harm.
Injuries Caused by Vehicle Accidents
Some types of injuries are common in car accidents. The severity of your injuries may vary based on a number of factors, such as the speed of the vehicles at the time of the collision, the location of impact, and others.
- Whiplash – Whiplash occurs when the neck and head are suddenly thrust forward and back. This can occur specifically with a rear-end collision. Whiplash can be a serious injury that requires ongoing treatment
- Back Injuries – Back injuries are common in many types of crashes. The back contains vertebrae that can be easily injured. Treatment often includes rest along with medication to reduce inflammation, followed by rehabilitative therapy.
- Head Trauma – Injuries to the head can happen in a crash, especially if the head hits the windshield or the pavement. In some cases, traumatic brain injury occurs, which can result in a life-threatening situation. Some TBI injuries can result in lifelong disabilities.
- Knee Injuries – Knee injuries can happen when the front of the vehicle crushes back toward the driver. The knees are vulnerable to injuries because they are located where they could take the brunt of the impact. Knee injuries can range from mild to severe and could require surgery and ongoing care.
- Broken Bones – Broken bones happen during impact and can range from fractures to complete displacement. When the break is significant, it might require surgical treatment by an orthopedic specialist.
Personal injury Lawyer Matt Arnold answers the question: “I was involved in a motor vehicle accident with injuries. Do I need a lawyer?”
Emotional and Psychological Injuries
In addition to physical injuries, those involved in car accidents may suffer emotional and psychological damages. These can include increased stress and anxiety, difficulty sleeping, mood swings, and symptoms of depression that may indicate post-traumatic stress disorder, PTSD. The victim may also have flashbacks of the incident that make them anxious, and they may be unable to drive or even get into an automobile, even as a passenger. The emotional and psychological difficulties can be so invasive that they interrupt a person’s ability to lead a normal life. The person could be unable to work, go out in public, or even visit with friends. Symptoms can last for a long time, especially if left unresolved.
Recovering From a Car Accident
Recovery from a severe car accident often requires both physical and mental treatment. Seek physical care immediately following the accident. Follow the doctor’s orders, and do not return to work or to normal activities before you are ready. Get plenty of rest and eat and drink adequately following the accident. Participate in exercises and rehabilitation according to your needs. Do not stop physical therapy until your doctor releases you. Additionally, you may want to try some alternative treatments.
Emotional and psychological recovery is necessary after a serious crash. Talk about the accident with your friends and family. Visiting the location of the accident might help you begin to heal. Before you begin driving again, take things slowly and travel in the passenger seat until you feel comfortable on the road. It can be extremely helpful to talk to a therapist or psychologist to assist you through the emotional healing process.
Your main focus following an accident is your full physical and emotional recovery. At the same time, the negligent driver who caused the crash and injuries should pay for your damages. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney will assist you with all aspects of your case and will help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. If you were hurt in a car accident, contact Arnold & Smith, PLLC, at (704) 370-2828 to request a free initial consultation.
The skilled personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to maximizing the financial recovery and obtaining justice for every personal injury client injured by another party’s negligence. The issues our personal injury clients may be facing include, but are not limited to, slip and fall injuries, wrongful death, product liability, catastrophic injuries, dog bite claims, car and truck accident injuries, motorcycle injuries, traumatic brain injury (TBI), nursing home negligence, spinal cord injury, boating accidents, and defective medical device injury. Our personal injury attorneys understand the devastating impact such an injury can have on a person’s life, and that the effects so often go beyond physical pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to helping clients determine the strength of their claims, and to aggressively pursuing the means necessary to achieve the best possible end result for each client’s particular situation.
See Our Related Video from our YouTube channel:
See Our Related Blog Posts: