Personal injury Lawyer Matt Arnold answers the question: “I was involved in a motor vehicle accident with injuries. Do I need a lawyer?”
Being in a car accident is always a stressful and overwhelming experience, especially if you have sustained an injury. Many people do not know what to do following a crash, and some are confused about whether or not they should hire a car accident attorney in North Carolina.
While it is always advised to consult with an attorney following a car accident, there are situations in which hiring a lawyer is absolutely necessary. Situations when you should hire a car accident attorney include:
- You or the other driver has been injured
- The cost of medical treatment totals more than $1,000
- Multiple individuals were harmed in the accident
- Fault cannot be immediately proven
- An insurance company is trying to delay, undervalue, or deny your claim
- Your car accident involves negligence
- The accident resulted in another party’s death
Typically, hiring a car accident attorney in North Carolina can help increase the value of your settlement amount because your lawyer will fight for the highest settlement offer possible.
Negligence in Car Accident Cases
Examples of negligence that can lead to car crashes include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Getting distracted while behind the wheel (e.g., texting while driving)
- Failing to maintain a safe following distance
- Running red lights
- Failing to adjust driving habits to road or weather conditions
- Ignoring road signs
- Performing unsafe lane changes
- Failing to use turn signals
These are just some of the examples of negligence in auto accidents. It is important to speak with a car crash attorney to investigate your unique case and determine whether the other driver involved was negligent.
When You May Not Need a Car Accident Lawyer
While hiring a car accident lawyer is advised in the vast majority of cases, there are situations in which you may not need an attorney:
- No bodily injury has occurred. However, a lawyer may still be able to help you get the best property damage settlement.
- An insurance company offered a settlement offer that is completely fair. However, you may still need to consult with an experienced lawyer to determine the full extent of damages and losses to ensure that the settlement offer is fair.
- The statute of limitations has passed. In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is three years, as provided by NC General Statutes Section 1-52.
By hiring a car accident attorney to handle your case, you will have someone who can support you throughout the process and someone who understands all the legal procedures to maximize the value of your case.
If you are not sure about whether you should hire a car accident lawyer or not, schedule a free consultation with our attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC. Our knowledgeable personal injury lawyers will offer you a free, no-obligation consultation to help you make the right decision in your particular case. Call (704) 370-2828 to receive a video or phone consultation with our lawyers to explore your legal options or fill out our contact form. Now taking cases throughout North Carolina with offices in Uptown Charlotte, Mooresville and Monroe.
The skilled personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to maximizing the financial recovery and obtaining justice for every personal injury client injured by another party’s negligence. The issues our personal injury clients may be facing include, but are not limited to, slip and fall injuries, wrongful death, product liability, catastrophic injuries, dog bite claims, car and truck accident injuries, motorcycle injuries, traumatic brain injury (TBI), nursing home negligence, spinal cord injury, boating accidents, and defective medical device injury. Our personal injury attorneys understand the devastating impact such an injury can have on a person’s life, and that the effects so often go beyond physical pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to helping clients determine the strength of their claims, and to aggressively pursuing the means necessary to achieve the best possible end result for each client’s particular situation.
See Our Related Video from our YouTube channel:
See Our Related Blog Posts: