Charlotte Personal Injury Attorney Matt Arnold answers the question “What constitutes nursing home negligence?”
Several Charlotte-area nursing homes have been flagged for past abuse and neglect. If you are thinking about getting your loved one into a nursing home in Charlotte, check out which facilities have been flagged for violations in the past.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is using a new alert system to inform people of histories of past abuse and neglect in nursing homes, according to WCNC. The federal agency has flagged over 50 nursing homes in the Carolina’s in recent months.
Use the CMS’s Online Tool to Learn About Neglect and Abuse in Nursing Homes
The allegations of abuse and neglect in Charlotte-area nursing homes range from sexual abuse to forcing residents to lie in their own urine and feces as well as failing to prevent maggot infestation inside a resident’s wound.
The CMS created the online Nursing Home Compare tool, which can be used by anyone before placing a family member in a nursing home. When using the online tool, you will see a warning icon (a red circle with a hand inside) next to facilities with a history of nursing home neglect and abuse.
The tool also has the rolling alerts for nursing homes cited on inspection reports for abuse that:
- Resulted in harm to a resident within the past year; and
- Led to the harm of a resident in each of the last two years.
Which Charlotte Nursing Homes are Flagged for Neglect and Abuse?
Inspection records from the CMS revealed the following violations in nursing homes across the greater Charlotte area:
- In February 2019, a nursing assistant at Pruitthealth-Rockingham punched a cognitively impaired resident in her face with a closed fist.
- In February 2019, Lancaster Convalescent Center failed to protect a resident from sexual abuse by another resident.
- In January 2019, White Oak Manor failed to protect two residents from sexual abuse by another resident.
- In 2019, Salisbury Center was flagged for failing to start medical treatment and pain relief for a resident who was complaining of back, hip, and ankle pain after falling in her room.
- In 2018, a nursing assistant at Olde Knox Commons slapped a cognitively impaired resident and failed to prevent two residents from being abused.
- In 2018, Bethany Woods Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Albemarle failed to supervise a resident who ended up wandering out of the facility.
- In 2018, The Ivy at Gastonia, previously known as Meadowwood Nursing Center, failed to provide incontinence care for eight hours, which forced a resident to lie in their own urine and feces.
- In 2018, Alexandria Place in Gastonia failed to prevent maggot infestation inside a resident’s wound.
If your loved one – a resident of a nursing home – has been harmed in any of the Charlotte-area facilities, contact our Charlotte nursing home neglect attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC. Our personal injury lawyers will stand up for your loved one’s rights if he or she has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect. In some instances, nursing home abuse can lead to a wrongful death.
If your family member was a victim of medical neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse, or the nursing home failed to provide proper assistance, speak with our lawyers to discuss your options. Call us now at 704-370-2828 to speak with our lawyers to explore your legal options or fill out our contact form. Now taking cases throughout North Carolina with offices in Uptown Charlotte, Mooresville and Monroe.
The skilled personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to maximizing the financial recovery and obtaining justice for every personal injury client injured by another party’s negligence. The issues our personal injury clients may be facing include, but are not limited to, slip and fall injuries, wrongful death, product liability, catastrophic injuries, dog bite claims, car and truck accident injuries, motorcycle injuries, traumatic brain injury (TBI), nursing home negligence, spinal cord injury, boating accidents, and defective medical device injury. Our personal injury attorneys understand the devastating impact such an injury can have on a person’s life, and that the effects so often go beyond physical pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC are dedicated to helping clients determine the strength of their claims, and to aggressively pursuing the means necessary to achieve the best possible end result for each client’s particular situation.
See Our Related Video from our YouTube channel:
See Our Related Blog Posts: